Saturday, May 26, 2012

Writing Exercise - Story Picture

A story surrounding the chair... What is it?

That's right, you get to write a paragraph, a story or anything you fancy that goes along with this picture.  No, you don't have to. Its just an exercise and helps get the creative juices flowing.

Now, here's mine.

Empty. Like the bottom of my stomach. My hand rested on the rough, rust eaten chair. Nothing had changed here. The grass still wouldn't grow, the wood, twisted and sanded by the ocean waters lay in a  heap by the ginger colored chair. It was almost as though I had never left. Almost, but not quite. It was emptier than usual. Only one or two people walked along the shore. No youngsters splashed about in the playful waves.  No sandcastles rose out of the damp sand like the faraway fortress of Vorak. I sat down on the rusty chair, grateful it stayed sturdy after all these years. I half expected to hear a rough sea captain's voice, ordering me out of his chair. But it didn't come. The wind whipped sea spray in my face, the familiar sting didn't phase me the way it once had. My mind wandered and I sat there.
I sat there till half past seven. Needless to say he didn't come.
There was nothing here. Nothing, but fleeting memories like leaves in the wind.


I threw that together real quick so its a bit rough, but that's what an exercise is. Rough. :D Helps waken the brain and get the the creativity flowing. I'll post more writing exercises I've learned later.


Do you know any helpful writing exercises?

2 comments:

  1. Amazing! (can I follow your blog, and how?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. :) Two ways that I know of. One is to copy the blog's URL address and go to your blogger dashboard. (http://www.blogger.com/home) Click the add button under reading list and paste in the url. However the second option (that I just added, thanks Keely!) I had forgotten about is the gadget on the right hand side of the page. The follower one. I believe it works the same way. :)

      Delete